Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just a brief update. First off... a correction.

In my last note on the subject of T.H.E. Club, I described the possibility of membership for the businesses who foisted the High Expectations on us, as well as for those of us who experienced them.

Well, Leslie set me straight on that – membership in T.H.E. Club is open to us ordinary folks with experience of Too High Expectations – not the commercial businesses, organizations or even less-than-cooperative individuals who create them.

People like TriumphAnthill resident Cathy Victor, who sent me this story after reading my own misadventures with Marks and their “oversize” t-shirts:

“Oh yeah. I heartily concur with your experience of frustration.

Not that long ago I was in our local Sears. My goal was to buy a pair of work pants, that A. Had pockets (to carry keys, cell phone etc) and B. that I did not have to hem.

Did I say that I am on the short side? As well I am not especially svelte.

Sigh. I despise buying pants.

But lo! The perfect pair of pants presented themselves on a sale rack.

I thought, "What can my savior do more?"

So I promptly took the amazing pants to the cashier.

She scanned my item, and lo - the price was more than the sale price.

I then pointed out that these amazing pants were from the sale rack. (Ring a bell?)

And with a slight look of disdain she proceeded to point out that there was a 'W' beside the size number. This number is of no import for this discussion.

I had never noticed such a mysterious 'W' on a size before. Maybe I don't buy enough pants.

I'm not sure.

She seemed to be saying that this 'W' meant something like 'Whoa -you're wider than you should be.' or 'Watch out - Wide load.'

Again - I really despise buying pants.

The higher price was not tremendously more, but they were the same %^*#} pants.

The clerk seemed impatient, and even mystified that I didn't or couldn't grasp the problem here.

Clearly my bottom was bigger than it should be.

I internally heaved a great sigh at being singled out buy some cashier in a size 4 outfit, and paid for the pants. I still like the pants, but I am now a more cautious consumer, knowing that cashiers who are in T.H.E. Club are lurking in the shadows.”

By way of digression, Cathy and I had a brief follow-up exchange during which we Googled the mysterious “W”. The search turned up an immediate answer here. Turned out to be not so mysterious after all:

“Pay attention to whether the size is considered Women's, Misses or Juniors. These sizes are designated with a W, M or J, and provide an important hint about how clothing will fit. Women's clothing often refers to plus sizes, intended for women with fuller figures. The clothes have generous space in the hip and stomach area. Misses sizes, which are evenly numbered, are intended for adult women and have slightly more room in the bust and hip areas. Juniors sizes, reflected by odd numbers, are designed with teenagers in mind. Juniors sizes have a shorter and slimmer cut than clothing designed for misses.”

I want to clarify here and now that I am not one who Googles around in women’s clothing... (Hmmm... maybe I’ll just stop that line of explanation right there.)

And that makes Cathy an official member of T.H.E. Club.

Speaking of which, my continuingly creative daughter has also come up with a graphic that is just so perfect, it took Leslie and I all of ten seconds to agree it is the perfect logo for our fledgling group of disgruntled expectors.

I’m already looking into the creation of official badges for us to sport.

À la prochaine.

1 comment:

  1. the Minute man is now a lively restaurant called the Hungry 7 - has the best menu around and the best hamburgers this side of Hintonburger. I suggest you stop and meet the personable staff and the great food!

    ReplyDelete